Experiment in colouring
Updated: Jun 24
Well I have finally dove into the world of colouring my woodturning. I used Hampshire Sheen "Intrinsic Colours" . Links to all colouring and sanding sealer supplies can be found on my resource page of my website www.hfbowern.com/resources.
The wood blank was a 8" diameter piece of Hard Maple. I have turned a few variations of designs with the blank and as such it is at about a 6" diameter now.
I turned the outside of the bowl and wanted to leave it natural (not colouring) to add contrast to the finished piece. The bottom was then sanded from 80 to 320 grit. Two coats of diluted sanding sealer was applied, denibbing between coats with a paper towel pad. More about the diluted sanding sealer I used at the end of this article. I left the bowl about four hours to dry off completely.
Now I applied two coats of Hampshire Sheen Food and Toy safe Gloss finishing Wax, buffing between coats. The bottom is finished.
After turning the inside of the bowl, I sanded the inside from 100 to 320 grit. I then applied two coats of diluted sanding sealer, using the same methods as I had done with the bottom of the bowl. I left that to dry overnight.
The colours used on the bowl was Earth, Burnt Orange, Flame, and Honey. All colours were applied using a half sheet of paper towel, which I folded over many times to end up with a pad about 1 1/2" x 3".
I applied the Earth colour around the the rim of the bowl using a paper towel pad.I tried not to create an even line of colour around the rim. To get the free border effect, I feathered the application by pulling the colour with light strokes toward the center of the bowl. This created a hard line outside edge around the rim, while the inside edge was feathered.
Note: When I feathered, I made sure most of the colour was off the pad. This way you get the feathering and into a hard line between colours.
I left the colour to dry for about two hours.
Next, I applied the Burnt Orange, with a new paper towel pad. Working from the Earth inner rim line and towards the inside of the bowl, I applied the colour sparingly in two separate areas of the bowl. Feathering this application also, to avoid creating a hard line between colours. I did try to blend with the inner edges of the Earth colour. I left the colour to dry for two hours.
Next I applied the Flame, with a new paper towel pad. I applied the colour sparingly in two other areas, blending the application into the prior coloured edges, using the feathering technique to avoid creating a hard line between colours. I left the bowl to dry overnight.
At this point, with the all the colours completely dry, I took a 400 Grit 2" sand paper disc, from my bowl sander collection, and sanded out various small areas of the applied colours. to almost back to the original bare wood and lightly sanding colour applications in other areas. The result was a patchwork of bare wood, lighten colour areas and solid applied coloured areas.
Now taking a new paper towel pad, I applied a even coat of Honey colour over the whole inside of the bowl. II left the bowl to dry overnight.
At this point I applied a watered down sanding sealer to the whole inside of the bowl, denibbing between coats. I left the bowl to dry overnight.
I then applied two coats of Hampshire Sheen Food and Toy safe Gloss finishing Wax, buffing between coats to the inside of the bowl to complete the whole project.
The sanding sealer mixture that I used is made from Target Coatings Emtech 1000 Universal Sanding Sealer. This sealer is a water-based sealer which can be diluted 25% by volume with water. Instructions are one can provided by manufacturer. This is the mixture I made. This sealer can be bought from Wood Essence. in Saskatoon K Canada. I have a link to their website on my resources page.
All in all a very good looking bowl, sort of a well used antique look in my mind. A first successful venture into colouring my turnings I do say so myself. Something maybe you can try.
Until next time, goodbye for now.
We will see you back in the Workshop!