Staining with colours, the next experiment
So onward I go into my next experimenting adventure using Chestnut Products Spirit Stain Rainbow Colours. I have chose a Curly Maple 6" diameter x 2 1/2" deep bowl that I had turned sometime ago. I had turned its brother at the same time and finished it naturally with no colouring. I show the both bowls together later in the article. The colours I am going to use for my set of stains are yellow, blue, royal blue, purple, green with a wash of white.
I chucked the bowl into my Supernova 2 and expanded the 100 mm jaws into the recess I had made previously in the bottom of the bowl. I then wrapped the chuck and visible jaws to protect them from the stain. I have been known to colour my tools 🤣
I am applying the colours from light to dark. The chosen method of application is using textured kitchen towel sheets to leave a textured appearance when I dab the colours on. I folded a section of kitchen towel many times to make a 3" x 3" applicator for the main bowl colour and then folded sheets of kitchen towel in two and tore that in two to make two applicators per sheet. Each piece I had just cut in two, I folded them into an approx 1" x 3" applicator pad.
Using the 3" x 3" kitchen towel pad, I applied yellow to the entire visible inside and outside surface of the bowl. I left the bowl to dry for an hour or so. Then using the small 1" x 3" kitchen towel applicators with a dabbing technique, I applied blue, a few dabs of royal blue only, purple and green randomly over the entire surface. Note, I left the bowl to dry for an hour or so after each colour application. Fully drying the piece between colour applications, ensures the colours would appear as a texture and not as blended look as you would get applying wet colour over wet colour.
After ensuring all prior applications of colours were completely dry (in my case I let the bowl sit overnight) I lightly applied a wash coat of white. By wash coat I mean, a not putting too much stain on the kitchen towel pad and then pressing as lightly as possible over the surface of the bowl. I did not want to overcoat the surface of the bowl with white, but only give it a dusting of colour look. At this point I let the bowl completely dry overnight. The picture above shows the bowl at this stage.
So now to get the bowl ready for finish top coats. I removed all the painters tape of the chuck and jaws and took the bowl off the chuck and reversed it onto a jam chuck to allow me to do a bit of light cuts to the bowl bottom and better define the line between the painted section and the raw wood section of the bowl bottom. I also cleaned up the recess in the bowl bottom. After that I used my drill with a 2" round sanding pad and 80 through to 320 grit sand paper to sand off the base rim and recess area of the bottom. Finally I wiped the whole bowl with a tack cloth to ensure all the dust from sanding had been removed.
I applied 3 coats of my sanding sealer, letting it dry between coats and also denibbing with 1000 grit sand paper between coats. I setup a spray jig, made up of a block of wood that would fit inside the bowl, on a shop stool and after wiping the bowl off with a tack cloth again, I sprayed several light coats of a MinWax spray-on Poly. I denibbed between the coats with 1000 grit sandpaper. I flipped the bowl over and used the same application process to coat the internal area of the bowl.
Here we are. The completed "Curly Camouflaged Bowl". Quite an rewarding experience with colouring using the Chestnut Products Spirit Stain Rainbow Colours.
I hope you like it. Here is a picture of the Camouflaged bowl and his brother "Natural Curly"
Thanks for coming by and looking
See you next time
Back in the Workshop